Thursday, May 05, 2011

A Novena for a First Holy Communion

Aidan will make his First Holy Communion this Saturday.  One of the things I did for his older brother was to create a special Novena leading up to the big day.  Aidan's Novena follows the same pattern but has different stories to also coincide with the Easter season.

Amidst the last minute arrangements and preparations this has been a special way to take some time to share a story and pray together. 

The prayers are based on some of the prayers that I found in My Mass Book published by Neumann press.  I was going to rewrite them a bit but it turns out that Aidan prefers the "Thees" and "Thous" in the prayers.  I have a soft cover version, I think the one I linked to is the same one.

The stories are found mostly in "Easter Chimes - Stories for the Easter and Spring Season"  selected by Wilhelmina Harper.  Even if you do not have a child getting ready for First Holy Communion these are wonderful stories for the Easter season.  The stories marked with an * are from this collection (and there are many more - we love this book!) 

Each morning we begin with a story, then the special prayer for that day followed by an Our Father, Hail Mary, and Glory Be.

Day 1  An Act of Faith

Story - A Lesson of Faith
Sign of the Cross
Prayer - Act of Faith
O my God, I believe that this gift of Holy Communion is our Lord Jesus Christ.  I believe this because Thou, my Jesus, hast said, "This is my Body.  This is my Blood."  I believe, O Lord, and I will praise Thy name.
Our Father, Haily Mary, Glory be...

Day 2 An Act of Hope

Story - Easter Eggs (from the Good Master by Kate Seredy - this story is also found in another wonderful collection "The Easter Book of Legends and Stories" ed. Hazeltine and Smith)
Sign of the Cross
Prayer - Act of Hope
O my Jesus, Thou art coming from heaven to be the food of my soul. I hope for many favors from Thee, dear Jesus. I hope to know Thee, my God, better. I hope to love Thee more. I hope for the grace to serve Thee all my life. I give Thee all my thoughts, words, and actions. I hope to be happy with Thee in heaven.
Our Father, Hail Mary, Glory Be.....

Day 3 An Act of Love

Story - The Loveliest Rose in the World by Hans Christian Andersen*
Sign of the Cross
Prayer - Act of Love
O Jesus, my God, I love Thee. Thou art beautiful, dear Jesus, and so kind. The children loved and trusted Thee when Thou didst live on earth. They wanted to, because of Thy goodness. I want to love Thee as they did. Come into my heart and teach me, Jesus. My heart is ready to receive Thee, sweet Jesus. My Heart is ready.
Our Father, Hail Mary, Glory Be....

Day 4 An Act of Desire 

Story - The Apple Tree by Margery Williams Bianco*
Sign of the Cross
Prayer - Act of Desire
O Lord of hosts! O Son of God! O Jesus, my Love! My soul longs to receive Thee. My heart is happy because Thou, my loving Jesus, art coming to visit me. O Jesus, my own sweet Lord, come to me. O my Jesus, do not delay.
Our Father, Hail Mary, Glory be....


Day 5 An Act of Contrition

Story - The Beauty of the Lily by Frances Jenkins Olcott*
Sign of the Cross
Prayer - Act of Contrition
O my Father, I am Thy little child, and I need Thee. Have mercy upon me, my God.
Make my soul clean and beautiful for Jesus. I am sorry for all the faults I have committed.  I am sorry because they have offended Thee, my loving God and my Father. The love of my Jesus will make me strong and keep me from all sin.
Our Father, Hail Mary, Glory Be....

Day 6 An Act of Humility

Story - The Easter Eggs by Katharine Dunlap Cather*
Sign of the Cross
Prayer - Act of Humility
Jesus, Thou art my God.  I am a creature Thou hast made.  I am Thy child.  I do not know how to love Thee.  I do not know how to serve Thee.  Jesus, teach me!
Our Father, Hail Mary, Glory Be...



Day 7 An Act of Adoration

Story - The Little Brown Lizard by Mabel Leigh Hunt*
Sign of the Cross
Prayer - Act of Adoration
I adore Thee, Jesus my God.  I know Thou art the God of heaven and earth.  I know Thou art the King of Glory.
Our Father, Hail Mary, Glory Be...

Day 8 An Act of Petition

Story - The Golden Egg by Ivy Bolten*
Sign of the Cross
Prayer - Act of Petition
Give me, O loving Jesus, all that I need for myself and for others.  Bless my father and my mother.  Bless those I love.  Keep us from sin this day, dear Lord.  O Sacred Heart of Jesus, I place my trust in Thee.
Our Father, Hail Mary, Glory Be...

Day 9 Consecration to Our Immaculate Mother
Tomorrow we will have a blueberry pancake breakfast and bring some flowers to plant around Mary Statue at our Parish Church.  Then Saturday is the big day!


(Thank you, Hannah, for the pictures)

No comments: