Monday, November 15, 2010

A November Daybook

Outside my window...it is a grey Monday morning.

I am thinking....about tuning up our daily schedule to better fit the fall/winter chores in - raking leaves, gathering kindling, bringing in wood, etc..

I am thankful for....a parish community that sings..even when there is no one to play the music.

From the learning rooms....back to some form drawing this week to help my 11 year old son with his allergy to writing.  We're using "The Write Appoach" - Book 1,  form drawing for better handwriting by Joen Gladich and Paula A. Sassi.

From the seasonal kitchen....Ed found a farm in New York that may be our new source for meat products.  The farm is not organic but they had all the right anwsers to Ed's questions.  He brought home some samples for us to try - a little bacon, some sausage.

I am wearing...my jammies, still...we are all a little slow on Monday mornings.

I am creating...chaos in our house by being too much in handwork mode.....over the weekend we made beeswax ornaments - angels and hearts.  The craft fair is this Saturday, I hope we have enough little items by then to make a good showing.

Current read aloud with the boys...we continue with "The Princess  and the Goblin".  Princess Irene and Curdie the miner's son have met.  Curdie has also stumbled across a possible plot that could threaten the Princess!  And....Curdie has also discovered that goblins have no toes and very tender feet....

I am hoping....the girls sing well this afternoon with their choir.  From their website:

•Concert Choir has been invited to perform a newly commissioned piece by New York composer, Jim Papoulis at the Lord & Taylor store in the Rockaway Mall. As part of the store’s celebration, The Gift of Sharing, selected children’s choirs will be performing this piece on November 15 at Lord & Taylor stores throughout the United States. The concert is at 5 pm.


I am hearing...very strange noises... from the pipes? from the refrigerator?  Ed and I are not quite sure...

One of my favorite things...a full wood hoop.

Around the house...well, right now as I mentioned above...a bit too much chaos.

Living the liturgical year....we are still enjoying the stories from one of my favorite books on the saints..."Saints....Adventures in Courage" by Mary O'Neill, illustrated by Alex Ross.  This volume includes both St. Margaret of Scotland and St. Elizabeth of Hungary whose memorials are this week.

A picture to share....one of the illustrations from the book above.  Why are all my favorite books out of print?  This is St. Colman from Ireland, he has the most serene look on his face - just beautiful.


No comments: